Tuesday, August 26, 2008

For other parents

I'm not sure if too many people will ever read this blog but I thought I'd post this, just in case, because it's on my heart.

If you are a parent of a child who you think may have ADHD please please please do not let anyone, including family or friends deter you from doing what you feel you should. I put off having Timmy evaluated for a long time because of whatever else said despite my very strong maternal instincts. I let people make me feel horrible, convincing me that the issues were solely the result of poor parenting and the issues that had occurred in our house. Now I will never deny that we have done some things wrong and that my kids have seen and know more than they should at this age, but I KNEW there was something more.
But having finally done what I felt I should I can't tell you how huge a relief it is to be validated. I know many people are against medicating kids, especially at a young age and I'm not here to say that every child with ADHD should or shouldn't be. But as someone who before having kids was one who shared the thought of so many that medicating parents were just lazy or whatever, I want people to know that it sooo sooo isn't the case. It's a gut wrenching decision parents have to make.
If you're in this position with a child you suspect has ADHD, please contact someone, get some support. I can't tell you how much better you will feel about yourself and your family if you do. Not saying that things will magically change instantly but having some answers and some support will help a ton!

1 comment:

nancygrayce said...

I felt the very same way!!! Even my husband fought me about having him tested! I was at school so much that I should have gotten a paycheck.

You sound like a wonderful advocate for your child!