Thursday, June 5, 2008

some current struggles

Let me first start by saying that Timmy is an amazing child, he is upper intelligent, very thoughtful and wise beyond his years. It is not my intent to make it sound like he is a bad kid or that we do not love him with all our hearts. I don't know what I would do with out him, but most days ARE a mentally and physically exhausting struggle with him and I am simply attempting to document THOSE struggles here. All the great stuff in our family is recorded in my general personal blog....

Daily struggles:
  • running in the house
  • yelling and screaming in the house
  • use of "potty" words
  • being overly physical with Johnny while "playing"
  • recently he has begun to raise his fists to me when I ask him to do something or stop doing something
  • general listening/attention
  • inability to sit calmly to eat a meal

Other issues:

Right now Timmy is very much into making and spending time with friends. As the weather warms and they get outside to play more he has gotten to know some neighborhood kids and begs to play with them daily. While this is a normal thing it is an additional burden as I have to worry about his behavior with other kids. The other night we went to the neighbors house to let all the kids play on their swing set. All was going well for a good amount of time until another neighbor boy came over with some sort of ribbon/award. The boy who's yard we were in had grabbed it and was running and try playing a sort of keep away game. His mother quickly put and end to it and had him give it back. But I think Timmy got caught up in it and in effort to feel included or liked by the boy who's yard we were in he grabbed the other boy by the back of his jacket and was dragging him around yelling for someone to "grab the treasure." Even though this boy was a bit taller than Timmy, he was being flung around somewhat like a rag doll. I immediately yelled for him to let him go but he didn't. So there I go running across the yard, 20 pound baby in hand yelling for him to let go. But he did not let go until I grabbed the hand that had a hold of the boys jacket. The poor boy looked like he was very close to tears. I made Timmy apologize and the boy very kindly said he forgave him. But at that point I felt Timmy needed to go home. He however disagreed and I had to basically pull him across the alley screaming the whole way "I didn't know that would get me in trouble!" When we got in the house and I told him it looked like the boy was about to cry when I got to him I believe he felt truly sorry and had not ever intended to be being the bully that he was. But regardless, he had basically made me biggest worry a reality.

No comments: